Mayor of Kyiv declares electricity and water supply have been restored after a day of Russian missile strikes on Ukrainian energy facilities, including hydroelectric plants, which caused blackouts, mobile phone blackouts and cuts in water supplies.
“The water supply to the houses of Kyiv residents has been fully restored. Thanks to the experts of Kyivvodokanal and DTEK, who worked for almost a day to restore water and electricity [supplies] to the inhabitants of the capital,” Vitali Klitschko wrote on Telegram at the beginning of November 1.
Klitschko said the electricity supply in the Ukrainian capital has also been restored, but power cuts are inevitable due to extensive damage to the electrical system after the Russian attacks.
In Mykolaiv, the head of the regional military administration Vitaliy Kim said on November 1 that Russia fired four S-300 missiles overnight, demolishing half of an apartment building in the city and killing one person.
Russia has been targeting Ukrainian energy infrastructure and other civilian buildings with missile, drone and artillery attacks for weeks as part of a Ukrainian counteroffensive that has driven Russian troops from the northeast and pushed east and southeast.
In his overnight address, President Volodymyr Zelenskiy said Ukraine’s air defenses had done a good job of shooting down most of the missiles, but strengthening the country’s air defense capabilities remained a top priority.
“Our Air Force and everyone involved in protecting the skies did a great job today,” Zelenskiy said late Oct. 31. “Most of the objectives that the terrorists identified as targets have been saved. This morning alone, the terrorists used 55 cruise missiles for a massive attack. Forty-five of them were shot down. We will continue to strengthen our air defense.
Zelenskiy added that restoration work was still underway in areas targeted by Russian missiles.
Russia launched missiles at several Ukrainian cities on Oct. 31, including the nation’s capital, Kyiv, as the Kremlin continues its relentless assault on critical Ukrainian infrastructure in hopes of draining the people’s will to resist.
Ukrainian Foreign Ministry spokesman Oleh Nikolenko has called on the Group of 20 major economies to expel Russia and rescind President Vladimir Putin’s invitation to a G20 summit in Bali next month.
Nikolenko said in a tweet November 1 that Putin’s public acknowledgment that he had ordered missile strikes on Ukrainian civilians and energy infrastructure meant “his hands [are] stained with blood” and that “he must not be allowed to sit at the table of world leaders”.
As its eight-month invasion has failed and the prospects of defeat rise, the Kremlin is seeking to terrorize and demoralize the Ukrainian people in an attempt to break them, Western and Ukrainian officials have said. Russia has destroyed more than 40% of Ukraine’s energy infrastructure in a matter of weeks, causing power cuts in Kyiv and elsewhere as winter approaches.
Separately, in eastern Ukraine, the military command said there was heavy fighting near Bakhmut in the Donetsk region and that Ukrainian forces held off Russian assaults on two other areas in the region. , around Avdiyivka and Uhledar.
Ukrainian General Staff said in a press release on November 1, Russia struck more than 50 settlements in the Donetsk region.
Russia is also extension of the forced evacuation of Ukrainian citizens from occupied Kherson as his forces seek to hold the area.
Vladimir Saldo, the Russian-appointed leader of Kherson, announced on October 31 that citizens would be evacuated from seven other districts. Just three days earlier, Russian-installed officials had announced the end of the evacuation process in the Kherson region.
The Ukrainian army reported that Russian troops were mining the evacuated residential areas of the Kakhovka settlement.
In Moscow, the Russian Defense Ministry said all military mobilization activities, including the handing out of summonses, had been suspended. The Ministry said in a press release that “all activities related to conscription for military service” have been stopped.
According to the statement, military units will now only accept volunteers and contractors.
However, the announcement does not amount to an official end to the partial mobilization decreed by Russian President Vladimir Putin in September. This can only be done with an official decree from Putin.
Hundreds of thousands of Russians have fled Russia since Putin declared partial military mobilization.