Egyptian nuclear engineering students graduate from Russian Polytechnic University in Tomsk

The first nuclear power plant in Europe since 2007 is getting closer to commissioning – photo courtesy of Rosatom’s Facebook page

CAIRO – Jan 31, 2021: A new group of international nuclear engineering students, including Egyptians, have graduated from Russia’s Polytechnic University in Tomsk, Rosatom State Atomiс Energy Corporation (ROSATOM) announced.

The new group includes students from Egypt, Vietnam and Kazakhstan, in addition to Russian students, the company added in a statement, noting that this year a total of 48 international nuclear students graduated after completing studied for more than five years. The students include 13 Egyptians, 10 Vietnamese and 2 from Kazakhstan, in addition to 23 Russians.

In April 2020, Rosatom, Russia’s state-owned nuclear energy company, signed a ten-year contract with the Egyptian Atomic Energy Authority, to supply low-enriched nuclear fuel components, including uranium and aluminum, at the ETRR-2 nuclear reactor located to the northeast. of the capital Cairo, Rosatom’s TVEL Fuel Company said in a statement.

The ETRR-2 experimental training research reactor in Sharqiya Governorate was supplied by the Argentine company INVAP for the construction and delivery of plants and equipment in 1992.

In 2014, Egypt and Russia announced their cooperation in the field of nuclear energy. On November 19, 2015, an agreement was finally signed between Cairo and Moscow that allows Russia to build a nuclear power plant in the Mediterranean city of Dabaa, with Russia providing a $25 billion loan to Egypt to cover the construction cost. The loan will cover 85% of the plant, with Egypt financing the remaining 15%.

Under the agreement, Rosatom is financing and building four third-generation reactors, with a capacity of 1,200 megawatts (MW) each, for a total of 4,800 MW. The factory will be built on around 12,000 feddans and is expected to create more than 50,000 jobs.

Nuclear power is part of the government’s plan to diversify its energy sources to prevent any future crises resulting from power shortages.